Área de identidad
Código de referencia
Edwards A.A.B. MSS
- 1856-1891 (Creación)
Nivel de descripción
Volumen y soporte
4 albums, 1 notebook, 2 packets, 2 watercolours, 1 book
Área de contexto
Nombre del productor
British author and Egyptologist. Born, London 1831. Died, Westbury-on-Trym 1892. Displayed an early talent for writing, drawing, and opera singing. She pursued a career in journalism, wrote several novels, and also edited art and history publications. During this time she fostered a great interest in Egyptology, which led to her studying hieroglyphs. She visited Egypt in 1873-4, after which she wrote her most renowned publication A Thousand Miles Up the Nile (1877). She founded the Egypt Exploration Fund along with R. S. Poole and Sir E. Wilson, its aim being to excavate and preserve monuments. She gave up all her other interests so that she could concentrate on being the EEF's Secretary and to publicize its cause. She wrote numerous articles including excavation reports. In her will she left provision for the establishment of the first chair of Egyptian archaeology in England, which was at University College London, its first holder being Flinders Petrie.
Origen del ingreso o transferencia
Not known. Probably part of the Griffith bequest. Except MSS Group iii which was presented by Sue Giles, Curator of Ethnography & Foreign Archaeology, Bristol's Museums, Galleries & Archives, City Museum & Art Gallery, in 2006. Album 'Small Egyptian Scraps, 1874' internally transferred on 06/06/2013 (formerly Griffith Notebook 28, now Edwards MSS ii.4). First edition of Amelia B. Edwards, Pharaohs, Fellahs and Explorers (1891) transferred from Sackler Library on 13/09/2013 [Shelfmark: 315 Edw; Library Barcode: 302217920; Aleph System Number: 012141107].
Área de contenido y estructura
Alcance y contenido
- Album of drawings and watercolours made during Amelia Edwards's visit to the Dolomites.
- Album of drawings and watercolours made during her visit to Egypt in 1873-4.
- Album with 26 pencil sketches and one watercolour titled 'Small Egyptian Scraps, 1874', made during same visit to Egypt.
- Album, notebook, packet containing an assortment of drawings, letters, and notes, another packet contains copies of deeds and accounts issued following her death.
- Two watercolours of the temples on Philae island, assumed to have been painted by A. Edwards.
- First edition of Amelia B. Edwards, Pharaohs, Fellahs and Explorers (1891); Kate Griffith's (née Bradbury) copy, with handwritten dedication to ‘My Katie - Novr. 1891 - A.B.E’.
Valorización, destrucción y programación
Sistema de arreglo
Kept as received.
Área de condiciones de acceso y uso
Condiciones de acceso
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Copyright Griffith Institute, Oxford. Except for the photocopies of deeds and accounts which are to be housed in the Bristol Records Office.
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras
Características físicas y requisitos técnicos
Instrumentos de descripción
Área de materiales relacionados
Existencia y localización de originales
These are originals.
Existencia y localización de copias