Edwards A.A.B. MSS
- 1856-1891 (Anlage)
Umfang und Medium
4 albums, 1 notebook, 2 packets, 2 watercolours, 1 book
Name des Bestandsbildners
British author and Egyptologist. Born, London 1831. Died, Westbury-on-Trym 1892. Displayed an early talent for writing, drawing, and opera singing. She pursued a career in journalism, wrote several novels, and also edited art and history publications. During this time she fostered a great interest in Egyptology, which led to her studying hieroglyphs. She visited Egypt in 1873-4, after which she wrote her most renowned publication A Thousand Miles Up the Nile (1877). She founded the Egypt Exploration Fund along with R. S. Poole and Sir E. Wilson, its aim being to excavate and preserve monuments. She gave up all her other interests so that she could concentrate on being the EEF's Secretary and to publicize its cause. She wrote numerous articles including excavation reports. In her will she left provision for the establishment of the first chair of Egyptian archaeology in England, which was at University College London, its first holder being Flinders Petrie.
Not known. Probably part of the Griffith bequest. Except MSS Group iii which was presented by Sue Giles, Curator of Ethnography & Foreign Archaeology, Bristol's Museums, Galleries & Archives, City Museum & Art Gallery, in 2006. Album 'Small Egyptian Scraps, 1874' internally transferred on 06/06/2013 (formerly Griffith Notebook 28, now Edwards MSS ii.4). First edition of Amelia B. Edwards, Pharaohs, Fellahs and Explorers (1891) transferred from Sackler Library on 13/09/2013 [Shelfmark: 315 Edw; Library Barcode: 302217920; Aleph System Number: 012141107].
Bereich "Inhalt und innere Ordnung"
Eingrenzung und Inhalt
- Album of drawings and watercolours made during Amelia Edwards's visit to the Dolomites.
- Album of drawings and watercolours made during her visit to Egypt in 1873-4.
- Album with 26 pencil sketches and one watercolour titled 'Small Egyptian Scraps, 1874', made during same visit to Egypt.
- Album, notebook, packet containing an assortment of drawings, letters, and notes, another packet contains copies of deeds and accounts issued following her death.
- Two watercolours of the temples on Philae island, assumed to have been painted by A. Edwards.
- First edition of Amelia B. Edwards, Pharaohs, Fellahs and Explorers (1891); Kate Griffith's (née Bradbury) copy, with handwritten dedication to ‘My Katie - Novr. 1891 - A.B.E’.
Bewertung, Vernichtung und Terminierung
Ordnung und Klassifikation
Kept as received.
Bedingungen des Zugriffs- und Benutzungsbereichs
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Copyright Griffith Institute, Oxford. Except for the photocopies of deeds and accounts which are to be housed in the Bristol Records Office.
In der Verzeichnungseinheit enthaltene Sprache
Schrift in den Unterlagen
Anmerkungen zu Sprache und Schrift
Physische Beschaffenheit und technische Anforderungen
Bereich Sachverwandte Unterlagen
Existenz und Aufbewahrungsort von Originalen
These are originals.
Existenz und Aufbewahrungsort von Kopien