- 1890s (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
118 glass negatives
Name of creator
Only information: from London.
Presented by Miss Yates in 1956.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Formerly in the possession of Miss Yates, London.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
118 glass stereoscopic plate negatives. Most show sites in and around
- Cairo, in and around
- General views of Cairo
- Street views
- Tombs of the Caliphs
- Tombs of the Mamelukes
- Mosque-Madrasa of Sultan Hasan
- Mosque-Madrasa of Sultan Barquq
- Tomb of Abouseer
- Mosque of Khat Bey
- Al-Hakim Mosque
- Mosque of Muhammad Ali Pasha
- The Citadel
- Other sites in Egypt
- 'Tombs at Thebes'
- 'Rocks of Abusir', Second Cataract
- 'Arab village'
- Outside Egypt, mostly Israel and Palestine:
- Jacob's Well
- Mount Tabor
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- See Ashmolean Museum Report of the Visitors 1956, p. 81 (accession).
- Most negatives are paired stereoscopic images, originally formed from the same piece of glass and then cut in two, separating the left and right images.
- Some are single negatives, as the paired negative is not present, presumed lost or destroyed.
- The negatives vary in size, each negative measures approximately 7.7 x 9.0 cm (3" x 3½").
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata