Tutankhamun - secondary material: tourist photographs, Tutankhamun-related
- 1923-03-19 (Creation)
- 1923-03-15 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Acquired in an online auction by Elizabeth Fleming.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Presented by Elizabeth Fleming in July 2021.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- 2 photographs taken by tourists visiting Luxor in 1923.
- TAA iii.46.2.1
- Three tourists, one man and two women, sitting on the modern enclosure wall of Tutankhamun's tomb, with two Egyptian police officers (1 standing on either side of the seated group).
- Manuscript note on verso, "Outside the new Tomb. The Valley of the Kings - 1923."
- TAA iii.46.2.2
- Female tourist, also part of the group in the other photograph, standing next to the head of a colossus of Ramesses II in the Ramesseum.
- Manuscript note on verso, "The Ramesseum - Thebes - 1923."
- The identities of the people in the photographs and the owner of the pictures are all unknown.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright Griffith Institute, University of Oxford.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
- TAA iii.46.2.1: 6.7 x 11.3 cm
- TAA iii.46.2.2: 11.3 x 6.8 cm
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Archived scans in Griffith Institute.