- 1950-1952 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
British archaeologist; born Bombay, 28 Oct. 1886, son of Charles Edward Gordon C., a High Court Judge, and Alice Luscombe; he was educated at Marlborough and Keble College, Oxford; becoming interested in archaeology he first wrote a paper on Early Bronze Age distributions and then joined the Wellcome Sudan excavations as an assistant, 1913-14; after war service he undertook field work in Britain and was appointed Archaeology Officer to the Ordnance Survey in 1920; he founded the archaeological journal Antiquity; he published Wessex from the Air, 1928, and Archaeology in the Field, 1953, two books which became standard works and which showed the use of new techniques; he visited Russia, Iraq, and N. Africa and also the Sudan again in 1950-1, producing the History of the Fung Kingdom of Sennar, he was awarded the Victoria Medal of the RGS and Hon. DCL by the Universities of Cambridge and Southampton; CBE; FBA; he also wrote Abu Geili (with F. Addison), 1951; Castles and churches in the Middle .Nile Region, 1961; some of his papers are in the Griffith Institute; he died in Southampton, 28 Nov. 1957.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Presented by O. G. S. Crawford in 1954.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Maps, plans and drawings, original and fair copies created by Crawford and Frank Addison for Crawford, O. G. S. 1951. The Fung kingdom of Sennar: with a geographical account of the Middle Nile Region.
- Sennar roll 1:
- Addison and Crawford drawings for figs. 1-4;
- Northern Fung region, discussed in Chapter ii, figs. 17, 24;
- Southern Fung region, discussed in Chapter ii, figs. 8, 14, 16, 21, 28.
- Sennar roll 2:
- Drawings for figs. 1-8, and part of figs. 10, 14, 16, 17, 21, 22, 24, 25;
- Two maps used in the field (1951-1952) for naming sites:
- — Korgus to Kuddik;
- — Kuddik to 'Usheir.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Crawford, O. G. S. 1951. The Fung kingdom of Sennar: with a geographical account of the Middle Nile Region.
- Two rolls containing the original maps, plans and drawings for Crawsford's 'Castles and Churches in the Middle Nile region' (published 1953) were presented by Crawford along with the 'Fung Kingdom' material. These rolls inventoried as 'Roll I' and 'Roll II' are not in the archive.
- Presumably transferred elsewhere, but not able to find documentation confirming this. The Bodleian and Ashmolean have Crawford material but are not able to identify this group within their respective holdings:
- Many of Crawford's papers are now in Bodleian Special Collections, and they have the proofs for 'Castles and Churches'. See https://archives.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/repositories/2/archival_objects/184080 (accessed 21/04/23). Original drawings not mentioned;
- The Sackler Library is listed as having Crawford's archaeological photographs (presumably British aerial archaeology photos), but nothing is listed for 'Castles and Churches'.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata