Petrie MSS 1.17
- 1898-1899 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Part 1, 53 pages
Part 2, 56 pages
Part 3, 170 pages (1 diary)
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters.
- Part 1, W. M. Flinders Petrie journal, November 29, 1898, to March 20, 1899.
- Part 2, Hilda Petrie journal, November 14, 1898, to March 1, 1899.
- Part 3, Hilda Petrie diary “1898-9 / SEMAINEH & HOW.”, December 6, 1898, to January 25, 1899. Camping trip (El Ga’ara, El Ghabat and Nawahed), March 2-5, 1899. Pages 143-70 are loose pages and the order is uncertain.
- All handwritten.
- Sites: Abadiya, Hu (Diospolis Parva).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Diospolis Parva: the cemeteries of Abadiyeh and Hu 1898-99 (1901) (OEB 147008) https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001647514 (accessed 22/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 171-2 (OEB 147191).
Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 249-51 (OEB 29381).
Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 148-56 (OEB 154602).
- This journal (= three parts) has been transcribed by Cat Warsi; Francisco Bosch-Puche and the Griffith Institute Team have proofread it and prepared it for publication on this website.