Petrie MSS 1.9
- 1889-1890 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters.
- September 26, 1889, through to June 1890.
- Petrie resumes working at El-Lahun, taking over from G. W. Fraser who had continued working at Kahun throughout the summer, Petrie continues to work at the site until the end of 1889. Petrie then begins excavating at Gurob, assisted by W. O. Hughes-Hughes. In March 1890, Petrie travels on to Palestine to excavate at Um Lakis (near Bureyr), and from April onwards, excavates at Tell el-Hesi.
- Sites in Egypt sites: Kahun and Gurob (Kom Medinet Gurob)
- Sites in Palestine: Bureyr (Um Lakis) and Tell el-Hesi (Lachish).
- Between pages 87 and 88, a small watercolour of tools.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Kahun, Gurob and Hawara (1890) (OEB 147091) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/petrie1890 (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Illahun, Kahun and Gurob: 1889-90 (1891) (OEB 147084) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/petrie1891 (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Tell el Hesy (Lachish) (1891) https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/004941569 (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 108-20 (OEB 147191).
Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 153-66 (OEB 29381).
Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 72-80 (OEB 154602).
Transcription of pages 72-143 (with some inaccuracies and omission of some paragraphs): "Journals of Mr. W. M. Flinders Petrie", Palestine Exploration Quarterly 22 (4) (1890), 219-246 [http://www.gospelstudies.org.uk/biblicalstudies/pdf/pefqs/1890_04_219.pdf (accessed 04/07/2020)].
For the photographs taken by Petrie at Tell el-Hesi and kept in the Palestine Exploration Fund in London, see Gibson, S. and T. Rajak, "Tell el-Hesi and the Camera: The Photographs of Petrie and Bliss”, Palestine Exploration Quarterly 122 (2) (1990), 114-132 [https://www.academia.edu/36225066/Shimon_Gibson_and_Tessa_Rajak_Tell_el-Hesi_and_the_Camera_The_Photographs_of_Petrie_and_Bliss_Palestine_Exploration_Quarterly_122_2_1990_114-132 (accessed 29/06/2020)].
- The journal has been transcribed by Cat Warsi; Susan Biddle has proofread it, and Francisco Bosch-Puche has prepared it for publication on this website.