Petrie MSS 1.1
- 1880-1881 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters
- November 30, 1880, to June 22, 1881.
- Petrie's first visit to Egypt commencing with a measurement-survey of the Giza pyramids, which was continued and completed the following season (1881 to 1882).
- Main site: Giza.
- Other sites: Dahshur and Saqqara.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Scans and transcripts of the journal, http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4pej8081.html
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, The pyramids and temples of Gizeh (1883) (OEB 14761) https://archive.org/details/pyramidsandtemp00petrgoog (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 20-6 (OEB 147191).
Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 34-48 (OEB 29381).
Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 12-31 (OEB 154602).
- The journal has been transcribed by Cat Warsi; Manon Schutz and the Griffith Institute Team have proofread it and prepared it for publication on this website.