Petrie MSS 2.3
- 1893-1897 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Presumably transferred from the Griffith MSS but no paperwork on file to confirm this.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Handwritten copies, created by Kate Bradbury (m. Griffith), excerpts of Petrie's journals from December 1893 to January 1897. Presumably created by Bradbury when the Petrie journals were circulated to friends and sponsors. The excerpts include:
- Pages 1-9 - February-April 1893 - Petrie photographing objects in the museums in Bologna, Florence, and Turin, as well as visits to archaeological sites in Italy including Pompeii.
- Pages 11-51 - 1893-4 - excavations at Qift (Koptos).
- Pages 52-81 - 1894-5 - excavations at Tukh (Nubt), Ballas and Naqada, Petrie assisted by J. E. Quibell, B. P. Grenfell and Hugh Price.
- Pages 82-90 - 1895-6 - excavations at Thebes including the Ramesseum, Temple of Thutmose IV and the Temple of Amenophis II.
- Pages 91-119 - 1896-7 - excavations at Beni Mazar and Bibeh.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
- Pages 1-9 - 1893 - the location of the original Petrie journal is not known, possibly in the possession of the Petrie family, lost or destroyed.
- Pages 11-51 - 1893-4 - copy of Petrie MSS 1.12.
- Pages 52-81 - 1894-5 - the location of the original Petrie journal is not known, possibly in the possession of the Petrie family, lost or destroyed.
- Pages 82-90 - 1895-6 - copy of Petrie MSS 1.13.
- Pages 91-119 - 1896-7 - copy of Petrie MSS 1.15.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
The description of this notebook in the original typewritten catalogue is erroneous.