Griffith MSS 7.3
- c. 1896 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
One paper squeeze
Housed in a one-metre-long box also containing Griffith MSS 7.4 and Griffith MSS 22
Name of creator
German Egyptologist and Demotist. Born, Hanover 1870. Died, Munich 1930. Educated at the Universities of Strasbourg, Berlin, and Paris, studying with J. Dümichen, A. Erman, and G. Maspero, respectively, 1888-92. Appointed Lecturer of Egyptology at Strasbourg University. He first concentrated on hieratic papyri especially the juristic texts, then on Coptic and Demotic studies, becoming one of the leading authorities in the field at that time. He published his acclaimed Coptic Dictionary, which was only superseded by W. E. Crum's work. Spiegelberg was a prolific author who wrote several hundred articles.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Squeeze, made by Wilhelm Spiegelberg
- Head of Wadjet, from a scene with Ptolemy II offering incense to Wadjet
- Second scene, west wall, interior, Room XI (western lateral chapel)
- Temple of Isis, Philae
- TopBib vi.244(361)-(362)
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Identification of scene, Silke Caßor-Pfeiffer, email 14-06-2023.
- Scene previously incorrectly described as 'Head of Isis from Birth House, exterior wall, West side. Not identified. By Spiegelberg.'
- The date of this squeeze 'c.1896' is based on the other Spiegelberg squeezes within the same group, which are annotated '1896'.