Carter MSS viii.2
- 1924 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 framed painting
Name of creator
British artist. Born, Swaffham, Norfolk 1863. Died, London 1939. Brother of Howard C. Studied at the Royal Academy Schools and exhibited regularly at the RA from 1883.
Recorded as having hung in the dining-room-study of Carter's London home. Bequeathed by Carter to his niece Miss Phyllis Walker.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Presented by Miss Phyllis Walker in 1958. In 1959, Miss Walker sent the portrait to William Holder & Sons, picture cleaners and restorers, Brook Street, London. The painting was transported directly from William Holder & Sons to the Griffith Institute in May 1959.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Portrait of Howard Carter, oil painting by his brother William C., signed and dated '1924'.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright Griffith Institute, University of Oxford.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
- Dimensions with frame: 139 x 111 cm
- Oil on canvas
- Signed and dated: 'William Carter 1924'
- Gilded wood frame, perspex glazing
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Illustrated London News 31 January 1925, fig. on p. 177 [upper right]
- Reeves, Nicholas 1990. The complete Tutankhamun: the king - the tomb - the royal treasure, fig. on p. 67 [upper right] (OEB 32978)
- Reeves, Nicholas and John H. Taylor 1992. Howard Carter before Tutankhamun, p. 172 fig. on 173 (OEB 35284)
- James, T. G. H. 1992. Howard Carter: the path to Tutankhamun, frontispiece (OEB 35269)
- Griffith Institute, 2022. Tutankhamun: excavating the archive, fig. 3 on p. 13 (OEB 298597)
- Griffith Institute Learning Pages: http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/learning/look/carter-portrait.html
- Art UK, see https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/howard-carter-18741939-221250
- Detail, head and shoulders, see http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4carter_p1924.html
- The portrait was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1925. A photograph taken at that time shows a few subtle differences, which may be due to later restoration work as the painting was affected by water and smoke when Howard Carter’s London residence was damaged during the Blitz.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata