- c.1960-1975 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3 boxes containing folders, 1 small box containing glass negatives, 7 card index boxes
Name of creator
German/British prehistorian. Born, Berlin 1892. Died, Oxford 1975. Studied medicine and Egyptology at the University of Berlin. Excavated at Hermopolis. Assistant Keeper of Egyptology, Manchester Museum.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
1) Material relating to proposed third edition of 'Egypt's Beginnings' submitted to the Griffith Institute by E. Baumgartel for publication in 1974.
2) Material related to Predynastic objects in Brooklyn Museum, via the Department of Antiquities, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, in February 2002.
3) Seven card index boxes, via the Department of Antiquities, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, in July 2004.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
1) Two typescripts with pages from the published edition, and handwritten notes and editing marks, together with a small box of glass negatives of plates marked 'Plates for Part 2'. Both titled ''Egypt's Beginnings', being the third edition of The Cultures of Prehistoric Egypt by Elise J. Baumgartel.' Also notes on the manuscript by Barry Kemp, dated 1975.
2) Collected notes and photographs relating to Predynastic material in The Brooklyn Museum. Two reports: one a copy of 'Report of Henry de Morgan on his researches in the Nile Valley between Esneh and Gebel-Silsilèh, during the winter of 1907-1908'; the other, no title or date, addressed 'To A. Augustus Healy, Esq., President of the Brooklyn of Arts & Sciences' [sic].
3) Seven card index boxes:
a) Naqada and Ballas Site Index [4 boxes]: Identified contents of grave groups from numbered tombs in Predynastic cemetery at Naqada, also Naqada town site, and Ballas (excav. Petrie, 1895), with current museum location; arranged by tomb number and cross referenced to Naqada and Ballas (London, 1896). The card index was created by Elise J. Baumgartel as the basis for her Petrie's Naqada Excavation. A Supplement (London, 1970); subsequently maintained and updated by Joan Crowfoot Payne, ‘Appendix to Naqada Excavations Supplement’, JEA 73 (1987), 181-9.
b) Petrie’s Naqada Site Records [2 boxes] (sketches of numbered graves showing disposition of bodies and grave goods): photocopies of the entries in site notebooks, filed by tomb number.
c) Petrie’s Ballas Site Records [1 box] (sketches of numbered graves showing disposition of bodies and grave goods): photocopies of the entries in site notebooks, filed by tomb number.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Kept as received
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright Griffith Institute, Oxford, except for photographs and xeroxes of reports belonging to The Brooklyn Museum.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
These are originals. The Brooklyn Museum owns the original copies of excavation reports copied for Baumgartel.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- 1) Earlier editions of Elise J. Baumgartel, The Cultures of Prehistoric Egypt, vol. i (1947; revised ed. 1955); vol. ii (1960).
- 3) Elise J. Baumgartel, Petrie’s Naqada Excavation. A Supplement (London, 1970); Joan Crowfoot Payne, ‘Appendix to Naqada Excavations Supplement’, JEA 73 (1987), 181-9.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata