Petrie MSS 1.8
- 1888-1889 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters.
- October 24, 1888, to June 14, 1888.
- Petrie resumes work at Hawara where he continues clearing the pyramid interior, assisted later on by G. W. Fraser. Petrie’s other assistant, M. Amos, is assigned to excavate at Petrie’s concession at Gurob. In January 1888, Petrie and Fraser move on to excavate at el-Lahun and the town of Kahun, Fraser remaining at the site throughout the summer after Petrie returns to England.
- Main sites: Hawara, Gurob (Kom Medinet Gurob) and Kahun (El-Lahun).
- Other sites: Birket Qarun (Birket Karun), Dimai (Soknopaiou Nesos).
- Pages 64-6 are copies of letters by Professor Griffith.
- Pages 82-3 and 149 are copies of letters by Petrie's mother Anne.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Many pages are fragile and need to be handled with care.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Hawara, Biahmu and Arsinoe (1889) (OEB 147074) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/petrie1889 (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Illahun, Kahun and Gurob: 1889-90 (1891) (OEB 147084) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/petrie1891 (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 90-107 (OEB 147191).
Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 142-52 (OEB 29381).
Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 67-71 (OEB 154602).
- The journal has been transcribed by Cat Warsi; Hazel Gray and the Griffith Institute Team have proofread it and prepared it for publication on this website.