Petrie MSS 1.7
Petrie Journal 1887 to 1888 (Medinet el-Faiyum and Hawara)
- 1887-1888 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters.
- December 5, 1887, through to May 12, 1888.
- Petrie begins the season excavating in the temple of Sobek at Medinet el-Faiyum, then moves on to Hawara where he surveys the pyramid, as well as finding many mummy-portraits from the Roman Period cemetery there.
- Main sites: Medinet el-Faiyum and Hawara.
- Other sites: Byahmu (Biyahmu), Medinet el-Gurob (Ghurab; Gourob).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Some pages have split along the folded edges, these have been housed in glassine envelopes.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Hawara, Biahmu and Arsinoe (1889) (OEB 147074) http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/petrie1889 (accessed 21/03/2018).
- Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 81-9 (OEB 147191).
- Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 130-41 (OEB 29381).
- Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 66-7 (OEB 154602).