Petrie MSS 1.2
- 1881-1882 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Journal letters.
- October 3, 1881, to May 8, 1882.
- Petrie's main activity was the continuation of the measurement-survey of the pyramids at Giza, which was started the preceding season (1880 to 1881). This was the first season that Petrie took photographs using the pinhole camera he built himself.
-Main site: Giza.
- Other sites: Saqqara, Abusir, Maidum, el-Hiba, Kom el-Ahmar, Amarna, Dendera, Thebes, Medinet Habu, Ramesseum, Luxor, Medinet el-Faiyum, Dahshur, Hawara.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
- Scans and transcripts of the journal, http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4pej8182.html
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, The pyramids and temples of Gizeh (1883) (OEB 14761) https://archive.org/details/pyramidsandtemp00petrgoog (accessed 21/03/2018).
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, Seventy years in archaeology , 27-36 (OEB 147191).
Drower, Margaret S., Flinders Petrie: a life in archaeology (1985), 48-64 (OEB 29381).
Drower, Margaret S. (ed.), Letters from the desert: the correspondence of Flinders and Hilda Petrie (2004), 31-40 (OEB 154602).
- The journal has been transcribed by Cat Warsi; Manon Schutz and the Griffith Institute Team have proofread it and prepared it for publication on this website.