Zona de identificação
Código de referência
George Lloyd Album
- 1842-1843 (Produção)
Nível de descrição
Dimensão e suporte
Zona do contexto
Nome do produtor
British botanist, excavator and traveller. He was probably born in India on 17 October 1815, the illegitimate son of Sir William L. of Brynestyn, a Welsh soldier and pioneer mountaineer, and an Indian lady. Lloyd was a member of the Cairo Literary Society and excavated at Thebes with Émile Prisse d'Avennes between 1839 and 1843. He died aged 27 in an accident at Qurna on 10 October 1843. His papers and botanical collections were given to the Botanical Garden of Montpellier.
História do arquivo
Previously in private possession, but owner not known.
Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência
Sotheby's, London. Travel, Atlases, Maps & Natural History, Sale L17401, 9 May 2017, lot 62. Acquired by the Griffith Institute at auction (£8,125.00) thanks to a grant from the Friends of the National Libraries (100%).
Zona do conteúdo e estrutura
Âmbito e conteúdo
Album of watercolours, drawings, and tracings of Egypt produced close to the end of Lloyd's life. It is a folio volume (33 x 44 cm, pages 32.7 x 43 cm), containing 135 watercolours and drawings (74 of which are full-page and 1 folding) and 10 tracings (8 folding). They are all mounted and most are captioned either on the image itself or on the mount. Captions on the mount seem to have been added when the album was put together after Lloyd's death. The album also contains a loose watercolour, a loose drawing and a loose lithographed portrait of George Lloyd by Prisse d'Avennes, who published it in his Oriental Album: Characters, Costumes and Modes of Life in the Valley of the Nile (1848). One of the drawings in the album is a pencil portrait of Lloyd sketched by Prince A. Soltykoff.
Avaliação, selecção e eliminação
Sistema de organização
Kept as received.
Zona de condições de acesso e utilização
Condições de acesso
Property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
Condiçoes de reprodução
Copyright Griffith Institute, University of Oxford
Idioma do material
Script do material
Notas ao idioma e script
Características físicas e requisitos técnicos
Conservation assessment in preparation. According to auction house's condition report: 'damp and water staining, re-backed retaining original spine, corners and edges rather rubbed'.
Instrumentos de descrição
Zona de documentação associada
Existência e localização de originais
This is an original.
Existência e localização de cópias
Unidades de descrição relacionadas
Nota de publicação
- Announcement of acquisition on the Griffith Institute website: http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/georgelloyd-album/.
Zona das notas
- Original handwritten dated captions by George Lloyd have been identified on the verso of many of the items. Although not easily accessible due to the items being mounted, they have been read by the use of a backlight.
- Pencil numbers (encircled or not) were added later, probably by dealer.
- Some of Lloyd's drawings of wall reliefs and paintings from temples and tombs are idealised versions of what existed on the original monuments at the time when he recorded them, and he may have completed what had been lost, obscured or was uncertain. For example, on the verso of Lloyd MSS 074 he states 'All the heads of the women were effaced, it is said by Mr. Hay's draughtsman. I have restored the face, the band round the head, and the feet.'
- Unidentified items (totally or partially): Lloyd MSS 025, 034, 037, 063, 074, 080, 086, 088, 094, 098, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 139, 140 and 145.
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Assuntos
Pontos de acesso - Locais
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo da descrição
Identificador da descrição
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções utilizadas
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação
Línguas e escritas
Objeto digital metadados
Nome do ficheiro
Tipo de suporte
Tamanho do ficheiro
31 de julho de 2018 01:40