- c.1947 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Folder titled 'Flora - miscellaneous; Egyptian Gardens' containing two handbound notebooks titled 'Flora - Miscellaneous' and 'Egyptian Gardens'.
Notebook titled 'Flora - Miscellaneous' contains notes, tracings and drawings relating to Egyptian flora including on agriculture, storing of grain, labdanum and its collection, cistus, cypress, gossypium, and cinammon. Also includes handwritten draft on the pomegranate, c.1947.
Notebook titled 'Egyptian Gardens' contains material relating to Egyptian gardens including:
- Notes on Methen's garden and orchard
- Cuttings of inscription relating to and depictions of gardens
- Drawing of a myrrh tree from a bas-relief in the Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari
- Photograph of the Libyan or Tehenu palette (Cairo Museum, CG 14238, JE 27434)
- Typed notes on gardening in Egypt, the pomegranate and cultivated olive trees
- Postcard showing Tutankhamen and his Queen in a garden
- Newspaper cutting of Newberry, Percy, 'Gardening 6000 Years Ago' in The Gardeners' Chronicle, no.678, 23 December 1899.
This folder was previously in a box labelled, during previous archival processing, 'Flora and Fauna 1'.