Zona de identificação
Código de referência
- c. 1824-1870s (Produção)
Nível de descrição
Dimensão e suporte
3 atlas size boxes and 1 folder
Zona do contexto
Nome do produtor
British sculptor, draughtsman and traveller. Studied at the Royal Academy, awarded a scholarship allowing him to continue his studies in Rome, 1823. Travelled throughout Egypt, Palestine and Syria, with extended periods spent living in Egypt between 1824 and 1844, during which time he created a large portfolio of drawings and watercolours. Worked for Robert Hay, James Burton, Edward W. Lane, Sir John Gardner Wilkinson, and Ippolito Rosellini. Was a member of Lepsius's expedition to Egypt between 1842 and 1844. Bonomi assisted Owen Jones, the architect responsible for the design and installation of the Egyptian court, Crystal Palace, 1853. Appointed Curator of the Sir John Soane’s Museum in 1861, a position he held until his death in 1878.
História do arquivo
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: in the possession of the Bonomi family for several generations until deposit in the Griffith Institute Archive.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: created for the Griffith Institute in the 1940s.
Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: donated in 1997 by Mrs Vivien Betti, descendant of Joseph Bonomi.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: made with permission of Mrs de Cosson, the owner of the original diary in the 1940s when this copy was created.
Zona do conteúdo e estrutura
Âmbito e conteúdo
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: 52 handmade ‘portfolios’ containing pencil and pastel drawings, watercolours, tracings and commercial prints, almost certainly arranged by Bonomi, some later rearrangement was done by Bonomi's descendants [Bonomi MSS 1-52].
2) Typescript of diary: carbon-copy(?) typescript of extracts from Joseph Bonomi’s diary, entries for periods in Egypt dating between 25th March 1829 to 26th May 1834 [Bonomi MSS 53].
Avaliação, selecção e eliminação
Sistema de organização
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: within the portfolios the material has been kept as received; the portfolios have been categorised into four groups (although some specific items are actually misplaced, they have not been moved but kept in their original portfolios):
- Egypt [Bonomi MSS 1-25]
- Europe et al. [Bonomi MSS 26-28]
- the Near East [Bonomi MSS 29-32]
- Classical designs [Bonomi MSS 33-52]
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: kept as received.
Zona de condições de acesso e utilização
Condições de acesso
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: property of the Griffith Institute. No restrictions.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: property of the de Cosson family in the 1940s. Access to the typescript is provided for study purposes only. Permission to quote from or requests to reproduce from the diary must be acquired from the de Cosson family. The Griffith Institute does not know if the original diary is still in the possession of the de Cosson family and has no current contact information.
Condiçoes de reprodução
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: copyright Griffith Institute, University of Oxford.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: copyright of the de Cosson family.
Idioma do material
Script do material
Notas ao idioma e script
Características físicas e requisitos técnicos
Instrumentos de descrição
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings:
- list and notes for the Egyptian portfolios by Dr Rosalind L. B. Moss (some of the references in the list are quoted in the published Topographical Bibliography volumes as well as being recorded in this catalogue as 'PM reference'). In the period of time between Dr Moss consulting the material and its accession in the Archive, distribution of some of the material has been changed and relocated within other folders by the former owner. There were also periodic exchanges of material between the respective collections in the possession of Bonomi's other descendants, hence some of the items seen and recorded by Dr Moss are no longer present [info Mrs Vivien Betti in 1997],
- preliminary catalogue for the Egyptian, European et al. and Near Eastern portfolios [Bonomi MSS 1-32],
- final catalogue of the entire collection in progress on this website.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: none.
Zona de documentação associada
Existência e localização de originais
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: these are originals.
2) The original Bonomi diary was in the possession of the de Cosson family in the 1940s.
Existência e localização de cópias
1) Bonomi drawings and paintings: none.
2) Typescript of extracts from Bonomi’s diary: not known.
Unidades de descrição relacionadas
Nota de publicação
Zona das notas
- The dimensions given for each item are maximum width per maximum height.
- Antonia Burgess-Freshwater created the preliminary catalogue for the Egyptian, European et al. and Near Eastern portfolios [Bonomi MSS 1-32].
- Elsie McLaughlin created the final catalogue for part of the Egyptian portfolios [Bonomi MSS 1-5] on this website, under the supervision of Francisco Bosch-Puche.
- Ella Thomas (placement programme for BA students in Art History 2018-2019) created the final catalogue for part of the Egyptian portfolios [Bonomi MSS 23-25], the European et al. portfolios [Bonomi MSS 26-28] and the Near Eastern portfolios [Bonomi MSS 29-32] on this website, under the supervision of Francisco Bosch-Puche.
- Beatrice Law and Mia Parnall (placement programme for BA students in Art History 2017-2018) created the final catalogue for the Classical portfolios [Bonomi MSS 33-52] on this website, under the supervision of Francisco Bosch-Puche.
- If you spot any mistakes or can improve on the cataloguing, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Assuntos
Pontos de acesso - Locais
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo da descrição
Identificador da descrição
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções utilizadas
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação
Línguas e escritas
Objeto digital metadados
Nome do ficheiro
Tipo de suporte