- n.d. Later than 1932 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Folder titled 'Rekhyt bird, Rhinoceros, Snakes, Graffiti of animals, Libyan Desert, Various Mammals' containing five handbound notebooks titled 'The Rekhyt-Bird', 'Rhinoceros', 'Snakes', 'Graffiti of Animals - Libyan Desert', 'Various Mammals' and some loose notes.
Notebook titled 'The Rekhyt-Bird' includes notes and draft on the rekhyt-bird and Newberry's identification of it with the Crested Bustard rather than the Plover. Also includes:
- Notes on bustards including photograph
- Use of the hieroglyphic sign in the name of King Aha
- Drawings and tracings of the rekhyt-bird
- Cuttings from publications of depictions of the rekhyt-bird in tomb scenes
- Rubbing and cutting of a slate palette fragment (Cairo Museum, CG 14238 bis) (TopBib v.105A)
Notebook titled 'Rhinoceros' contains notes on the rhinoceros and tracings.
Notebook titled 'Snakes' contains notes on snakes including references to snakes or the serpant god, snake cults, cobras, and winged snakes. Notes include a reference to 'small card index "snakes"' and 'folder serpents'. Notebook also includes two loose pages which appear to have been inserted by Diana Magee. These pages are a handwritten draft of Newberry, Percy, 'Fy "cerastes"', in Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, Vol. 34 (Dec., 1948), p. 118 (OEB 1466).
Notebook titled 'Graffiti of Animals - Libyan Desert' contains notes on rock graffiti and prehistoric rock engravings, notes on the Libyan Desert including a bibliography and a draft titled 'On the former fertility of the Libyan desert'.
Notebook titled 'Various Mammals' includes notes on cats including a tracing, the wolf, fox and jackal including tracing, the mouse, the rat, the hedgehog or porcupine, mythical animals and domestication of animals. Also includes:
- Cutting of images of a carved handle of a ceremonial knife (Metropolitan Museum, 26.7.1281)
- Drawings on a board of animal heads including oryx, ibex and dorcas gazelles.
This folder was previously in a box labelled, during previous archival processing, 'Flora and Fauna 2'.